Self Help – Self Referral – Certificates

If Your Child is Unwell:

It can be very worrying if your child is unwell. Most child illnesses are self limiting and will get better with a little tender loving care. The leaflet below is very helpful:

When to worry: Click to download in english: SHOULD I WORRY ABOUT MY CHILD (.pdf, 1.35 MB)

Click to access in other languages

Self care and pharmacy

You can treat lots of common illnesses and injuries at home – in fact, that’s the best place for you. 

A big part of your recovery from these minor ailments like coughs and colds, grazes, minor strains and hangovers is to rest and drink plenty of fluids. You can plan ahead by stocking up on some healthcare essentials like:

  • paracetamol or aspirin
  • indigestion remedies
  • plasters
  • rehydration remedies
  • a thermometer

You can find all these at your local pharmacy. Pharmacists give expert, confidential advice and treatment. There may be a very small wait but there is no need for an appointment. You can get advice about health issues and the best medicine for you.

Last year 8% of A&E visits could’ve been dealt with by a pharmacist. That means hundreds of thousands of people sat in A&E for hours when a nearby pharmacist could have seen them within minutes.

Many pharmacies also offer:

  • The morning after pill, for free to eligible customers
  • Allergy screening.
  • Chlamydia screening.
  • Medicine ‘MOTs’ – to help you use your treatments correctly.
  • New medicine service – to help you understand how to use new treatments.

Follow this link to find your nearest pharmacy


Click here for support with insomnia

Therapy, Counselling, Mental Health Self Referrals

You can self refer directly to our local mental health services for a spectrum of problems from stress through to significant depression and anxiety:

Havering Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) programme:

Tel: 03005551042

Havering MIND:

Please get in touch on 01708 457040 or email [email protected]

Havering Mental Health Crisis Team

Call the crisis team only if you are in crisis, but they are the best port of call when the situation is very bad and you need help urgently: 0300 555 1000


Urgent Support – Free 24 hour support  The Samaritans Email: [email protected] Call: 116 123 

Crisis support for young people

Papyrus  For young people under 35 who are feeling suicidal

Call: 0800 068 41 41 Text: 07786 209697 (10am-10pm Mon-Fri)

Find Out What Other Wide Ranging Services Area Available Locally to Help You and Your Family:

Meet Your Local Area Coordinator

Wound Care

We do not provide post-operative wound care. In Havering Post operative wound care including dressings, suture removal etc is provided by the Hurley Group at the Harold Wood Polyclinic: Appointments can be booked by phoning Tel: 0203 416 7711.

When do I need a fit note?

7 days off sick or less

If you’re off work sick for 7 days or less, your employer should not ask for medical evidence that you’ve been ill. Instead they can ask you to confirm that you’ve been ill. You can do this by filling in a form yourself when you return to work. This is called self-certification.

More than 7 days off sick

If you’re off work sick for more than 7 days, your employer will usually ask for a fit note (or Statement of Fitness for Work) from a GP or hospital doctor. Fit notes are sometimes referred to as medical statements or a doctor’s note. Your Consultant must provide you with any certificate related to your hospital care.

Important coronavirus advice

Do not ask your GP for a fit note if you are off work because of coronavirus. Instead you can get an isolation note to send to your employer as proof you need to stay at home.

To find out more, see the coronavirus self-isolation advice.

Antenatal / Pregnancy Care

We would like to express our congratulations if you are pregnant and happy to be so.

Click here to arrange your antenatal / pregnancy care with the local midwives and hospital service

Termination of Pregnancy

At WLMC we are here and able to support you in discussing your wishes and plans with your pregnancy, including termination. If you prefer, the local service also accepts self referrals.

Click here to self refer for a Termination of Pregnancy